3.17.2008

jacked-up banana bread

By "jacked-up," I mean "full of Jack". Or, in my case, Jim. Beam.

banana bread


I stole this recipe from Smitten Kitchen but that's okay because she stole it too. Sort of. And I can see why- it's great. Sometimes (like this time) I add a handful or two of chocolate chips, other times I add chopped pecans or walnuts. And once in a while I make it as is.

Elise’s Friend Heidi’s Friend Mrs. Hockmeyer’s Banana Bread, As Jacked Up by Deb (and then Stolen by lana)
Adapted from Simply Recipes

3 to 4 ripe bananas, smashed (hooray potato masher!)
1/3 cup melted salted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar (or more, if you must)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon bourbon
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 cup of flour

No need for a mixer for this recipe! Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla and bourbon, then the spices. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix just enough to combine (don't overmix). Pour mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

This makes a great breakfast, especially toasted a bit in the toaster oven. If you've put chocolate in it, that makes the chocolate bits all melty. I sure do love melty.

No comments: