4.15.2008

caramelized shallots

I tell you, Deb (smitten kitchen) is a woman after my own heart. Despite my general antipathy toward caramel, I adore all things caramelized.

caramelized shallots

Now, generally I would not call a plate of caramelized onions a side dish. But here is a recipe that I have no problem calling DINNER. I love it that much. I would eat it every day, were it not for the smelly side effects (sometimes, I must be considerate to my friends and lover).

I halved this recipe to one pound of shallots instead of two, because shallots were $3.99/lb. Next time I see them at the farmer's market I'm going to buy up as many as I can afford. Or carry. Anyway, once I'd scooped the finished shallots into a dish, I cooked some chicken in the cast iron pan, so that none of that flavor went to waste. Justin dipped the potatoes in the sauces left at the bottom of the onion dish, and I pretended to think that was gross. But really, I wish I'd been there to eat some too.

caramelized shallots

We all need more delicious recipes that are this easy.

Caramelized Shallots
Ina Garten

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
2 pounds fresh shallots, peeled, with roots intact
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a 12-inch ovenproof saute pan (hooray for cast iron!), add the shallots and sugar, and toss to coat. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the shallots start to brown. Add the vinegar, salt, and pepper and toss well.

Place the saute pan in the oven and roast for 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the shallots, until they are tender. Season, to taste, sprinkle with parsley, and serve hot.

No comments: